The Centre for Marine Science hosts a regular seminar series aimed at PhD and Honours students but open to all. Our seminars aim to showcase the breadth of student research within the University, encompassing all Schools and Institutes linked to CMS. They provide a great opportunity for Honours and PhD students to practice presenting their research in a small, friendly environment and for everyone to learn about the marine research being conducted at UQ.
3 seminars are held each semester, typically on a Thursday in room 257 Goddard Building. Special seminars featuring visiting researchers are added to the schedule when the opportunity arises. Detailed information about upcoming presenters and topics will be posted here once confirmed.
If you would like to present in the future, please get in contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 Seminar Schedule
Thursday 15 March, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)
- Alice Twomey - Optimizing seagrass for coastal defence: a grass roots study
- Cameron Baker - Exploring the nesting behaviour and movements of female estuarine crocodiles
Wednesday 28 March, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8) SPECIAL SEMINAR
- Dr. Julia K. Baum, Associate Professor of Biology at the University of Victoria, Canada; Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation - "Coral reefs and climate change: Transformation, surprises and resilience from the heart of the 2015-2016 El Niño"
Thursday 19 April, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)
- Sheridan Rabbitt - The importance of women in fisheries in the Solomon Islands
- Paloma Corvalan - Leaders on a Ship: Homeward Bound’s Women in STEMM Leadership Initiative
Thursday 3 May, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8) SPECIAL SEMINAR
- Emiliano Trucchi, a population geneticist from the University of Ferrara, Italy will present his research on "Climate-driven range shifts in fragmented ecosystems", using the King penguin from the SubAntarctic Ocean as a bioindicator from one of the most threatened ecosystems.
Thursday 24 May, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8) SPECIAL SEMINAR
- Ross Robertson, Naos Marine Laboratory, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Balboa, Republic of Panama will present his research on "An Indo-Pacific damselfish in the Gulf of Mexico: how, when, where, why, what"
Thursday 14 June, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)
- Barry McGovern TBC (cetacean acoustics and behaviour)
- Marjoleine Roos TBC (cetacean acoustics and behaviour)
Thursday 16 August, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)
- Kerrie Fraser TBC
Thursday 13 September, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)
Thursday 11 October, 1:00 pm, 257 Goddard (8)